Friday, May 18, 2012

Tres Leches Cake


I don't speak much Spanish but I know that Tres Leches translates to three milks...that being said this cake is made with....three different milk products. This cake is very popular in parts of Latin America and in many Hispanic households. There's many different variations of the cake using the same cake but soaking it in different liquids like alcohol or caramel. Today I did the traditional tres leches cake. I've never tasted it or made it so the only I could on was what my coworkers told me about it. Tres Leches is considered a "wet" cake kinda like tiramisu, and I love tiramisu so I figured it's worth a try.





Tres Leches Cake
Serves 16
Adapted from Latina Magazine May 2012

4 eggs
1 cup butter,softened
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups cake flour
1/4 tsp
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
7 oz sweetened condensed milk
6 oz evaporated milk
12 oz whipped topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13x9in pan. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat together eggs, butter, sugar, milk and vanilla.
Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Pour into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40mins, or until cake is firm to touch. Remove cake from the oven;
let it cool for 5mins.
In medium bowl, combine condensed and evaporated milks. Using wooden skewers or a toothpick, poke small holes all over cake. Slowly pour milk mixture evenly over the cake.
Let cool 10-15 mins more to absorb liquid. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hr.
When cake is completely cool, spread whipped topping evenly on top. Cut into pieces and garnish with fresh fruit, if using. Keep cake covered and refrigerated before serving.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment or recipe request.