Monday, January 28, 2013

Apple Brownies


An apple a day keeps the doctor away, right? That's what I kept telling myself while baking these. In my attempt to lead a healthier lifestyle in 2013 I'm trying my hardest to find "healthier" alternatives to my favorite foods.
So for my first "healthy" dessert I present Apple Brownies. In my opinion these brownies resemble an apple pie/cake . It looks and smells like apple pie, and that's mainly because of the cinnamon. Honestly these brownies are so decadent and flavorful and they don't require much ingredients.




Apple Brownies
Makes 12 bars

1 stick salted butter,melted and cooled plus more for dish
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup walnuts (chopped)
2 large firm sweet apples, peeled,cored and cute into 1/2in cubes about 2 3/4 cups

Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in center position. Generously butter an 8x11 in baking dish set aside. Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, baking soda, in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl beat together butter,sugar and eggs with a mixer until pale about 2 mins. Add walnuts and apples and stir by hand until combined. Add flour mixture and stir until combined about 30 secs more. Spread batter in pan and bake until golden brown and slightly firm about 40mins. Let cool on a wire rack about 30mins, then cut into 12 bars. Bars can be stored in an airtight container up to 5 days.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment or recipe request.